Your new company
Relocate to stunning New Zealand with Hays and Transpower! Remote interviews and offers, plus relocation.
- Use your experience to plan New Zealand's Transmission Grid of the future
- Join our skilled collaborative teams in Wellington or Ōtara, Auckland
- Broaden and deepen your skills and enjoy a wide variety of interesting work
Hays Recruitment are delighted to work with Transpower New Zealand to find Senior System Planning Engineers for roles in Auckland and Wellington, New Zealand. We seek individuals who can support the development of creative solutions to connect renewable generation, supply a rapidly increasing load, and enable decarbonisation of our economy!
The decarbonisation of New Zealand's economy sits at the core of Transpower's strategy. We have a critical role to play in enabling New Zealand's move towards electrification and a net-zero carbon future, and we work collaboratively across Government and industry to support policy development, business objectives, and public engagement.
We are already seeing significant increase in renewable generation and decarbonisation load. Our Grid Development division.
Your new role
- Helps Aotearoa/NZ towards its carbon zero goals by identifying the long-term needs of the National Grid based on the potential for investment in generation, expected load growth, and changes in electricity demand and technology.
- Develops transmission solutions to meet these needs while ensuring the grid continues to meet our customers' expectations for cost and reliability.
- Works with the business and regulator to obtain approvals for nationally significant transmission infrastructure projects.
In Grid Development, the System Planning and Grid Investment Team plays a key role in determining what New Zealand will require from its Transmission system in the future, and develops investment proposals, strategies, and approaches to ensure delivery of this service.
System Planning Engineers anticipate issues on the transmission system between 5 and 30 years ahead and develop solutions which ensure we continue to provide Aotearoa with a reliable and efficient transmission system.
Based in either our Head Office in Wellington or our Ōtara, Auckland Office, there will be no shortage of dynamic, intellectually stimulating work coupled with sufficient time and space to think. You'll be working as part of a skilled and passionate team to ensure evidence-based decisions are made in the best long-term interests of New Zealand including
- determining the key differences between what is required of the Grid in the future, and what it is presently able to deliver
- developing innovative solutions for grid enhancement that balances regulatory, cost, and technical requirements
- contributing to development of power system planning and analysis techniques
- providing the direction and focus needed to accommodate technical, commercial, and business Transmission Grid capability needs
Working enterprise wide, including with the System Operator and our customers, you'll facilitate and lead discussions regarding transmission planning and the development of solutions to issues and opportunities across the company and industry.
What you'll need to succeed
To be considered, a Washington accord accredited degree in Power or Electrical Engineering will underpin your experience in analysing transmission system issues. Ideally you have worked in Power Transmission, a utility, or consultancy at senior level. Other requirements include:
- Sound experience in power system analysis, modelling, and power system planning
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills, including advocacy and influencing, and the ability to build positive relationships at all levels. You'll have experience providing technical advice to senior management and a wider non-technical audience
- CPEng or an international equivalent (or be close to achieving accreditation) and have both breadth and depth of experience coupled with proven ability to coach and mentor to build engineering capability
- Customer centricity, curiosity, and commercial acuity
While not essential, experience in or knowledge of one of more of the areas below will be highly regarded.
What you'll get in return
- DIgSILENT PowerFactory modelling experience, including developing cases and models
- Python scripting
- Electricity industry regulatory experience
- Economic analysis
- Protection systems and SCADA assets
You'll be involved in planning New Zealand's Transmission Grid of the future. A supportive work environment awaits, and great employee health and wellness benefits include on the job learning and career development.
Our team of around 28 nationalities offer diverse perspectives, are technically expert in their respective fields, hardworking, and connect deeply with our purpose - Whakamana i Te Mauri Hiko tū mai Aotearoa - Empowering the energy future for New Zealand.
Why move to New Zealand?
The high quality of life New Zealand offers, is what draws immigrants from all over the world and New Zealander’s pride themselves on welcoming newcomers. Set with stunning landscapes, New Zealand offers a perfectly balanced lifestyle, safe and friendly environment and a strong education system. Offering VISA assistance and a generous relocation package for you and your family, Transpower can make this not just a solid career move, but a complete lifestyle change.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career. #1099003