Your new company
Our client is an industry leading privately held commercial real estate development company. The Canadian operation has offices in Ontario and Alberta and specializes in industrial speculative and build-to-suit development. Their core values focus on delivering high quality product to clients, which is achieved through the company’s culture of excellence, teamwork, strong local market knowledge, competency and, most importantly, personal integrity.
Your new role
Immediate need for a Planner / Development Manager for Entitlements. This offers an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to support construction and development initiatives by effectively managing the planning process to obtain site plan approvals and permits.
You will take ownership of driving the planning process for each project from start to finish in an efficient and expedient manner. This includes working with multiple stakeholders and effectively balancing competing interests in order to prioritize the Company’s project initiatives with the effect of achieving required entitlements in a timely manner. You will have the experience and proven capability to coordinate and prioritize many different tasks across a large number of projects simultaneously while producing high quality work and achieving notable results. You will play an active role in delivering on the Company’s strategic objectives. You will be required to contribute to and understand the flow of information between all project team members to help ensure that all performance targets are met.
Day to Day Responsibilities Include:
Manage the planning consultants engaged in projects to achieve expedient processing of planning approvals such as official plan amendments, block plans, zoning and rezoning applications, plans of subdivision, variances, site plans and permits, and related planning applications with municipalities, regional and provincial governments, conservation authorities and other agencies / authorities having jurisdiction;
• Work closely with the Development and Construction teams
• Review, process and formulate planning opinions on complex, major planning proposals and projects, which includes plans of subdivisions applications, official plan and zoning amendment applications, site plan applications, minor variance and consent applications and other projects as assigned.
• Provide expert advice to the executive management team and project teams on the development and implementation of strategies related to land use and site development from a planning perspective to provide the most expeditious entitlement process.
• Liaise with Council, municipal departments, regulatory agencies and consultants on planning applications and other related processes.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with a wide range of organizations, government bodies, community organization and other stakeholders.
• Manage timely receipt of environmental impact assessments and review and report on mitigating measures.
• Present on, prepare reports for and make recommendations to internal stakeholders, which includes providing analysis of options and risk assessments related to various planning issues.
• Attend meetings and make presentations on the Company’s behalf in relation to planning initiatives.
• Perform due diligence and research on potential site acquisitions from a planning perspective.
• Research and report on status of provincial legislation, plans and policy, Official and Secondary Plans and current planning applications related to projects as needed.
• Report as needed to the executive management team, the project team members and capital partners on the planning status of assigned projects;
• Maintain up-to-date land use planning knowledge and up-to-date knowledge on applicable legislation.
• Conduct site inspections as required.
• Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as required by management.
What you'll need to succeed
- A University degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies or equivalent;
- Ten (10) or more years of work experience in land use planning with demonstrated knowledge of complex projects, with preference provided to industrial specific experience in the GTHA;
- Experience in both a municipal planning department and in a private firm, whether as consultant or otherwise;
- Membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) with a Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation with the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI);
- Thorough knowledge of the Planning Act and regulations, planning principles, statutory requirements, by-laws, provincial policies and plans and other regulations applicable to municipal planning.
- Proficiency with reporting.
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn and master various computer systems.
- Successful track record of reaching consensus among differing viewpoints and facilitating resolution of issues.
- Demonstrated ability to actively and successfully engage in management of issues on complex initiatives and to develop strategic resolutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English is required.
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized.
- Excellent presentation skills that exude confidence.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize effectively and meet tight deadlines.
- Possess a high degree of self-direction and be comfortable working with minimal supervision.
- Expected to work cooperatively with and take direction from multiple departments.
- Demonstrate an excellent ability to work well within the Company’s culture and reflect its values and objectives.
Travel will be required throughout the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area and may on occasion require travel to other Company offices and project locations. A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is therefore required.
What you'll get in return
$100,000 - $130,000 plus package
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.