Your new company
SMS Equipment offers rewarding careers in the heavy equipment industry across Canada and Alaska. As the largest Komatsu dealer in North America, SMS Equipment gives you the opportunity to represent world-class quality in our product offerings and customer service. Our employees tell us that the best part of working for SMS is the people, but additional benefits include competitive wages, comprehensive group benefit plans, RRSP matching, and health & wellness initiatives.
Due to growth they are seeking a Manager, FP&A & Treasury to join their growing yet established team. As an advocate of lifetime career growth, you will receive training and opportunities for promotion within as you grow.
Your new role
This position is located in Acheson, AB.
The Manager, FP&A & Treasury reports to the VP Finance, is responsible for budgeting, forecasting and analysis of results in order to educate business leaders, help prioritize initiatives, and ultimately drive improved business performance. This includes balance sheet and cash flow forecasting.
This position will interact with multiple levels within the operating groups to develop and enhance understanding of the drivers and root causes of financial performance, and constructively influence actions to drive improved profitability. This position will collaborate closely with all members of the Finance team, including Accounting and Corporate Finance.
Success in this role will require strong critical thinking skills, the ability to evaluate and assess value added business needs, design effective solutions and drive to collaboratively execute plans with follow up to ensure the operational effectiveness was achieved.
- Lead/Drive/Direct the annual budget process, reforecasting, as well as long-range strategic planning
- Continuously assess budgeting and forecasting process and tools to ensure maximum efficiency and forecast accuracy
- Ensure the delivery of clear, accurate, concise, timely and efficient performance reporting with the purpose of delivering value added, insightful and actionable management information to SMS leadership
- Provide detailed insights into the root cause of variances to budget/forecasts, educating the business and providing recommendations that enable business to make informed decisions that drive profitable growth
- Identify and implement cost reduction opportunities
- Proactively partner with other functions to improve financial understanding across the business
- Challenge assumptions and pressure-test ideas, collaboratively with management and senior leaders
- Responsible for cash flow forecasting on a daily and/or weekly basis
- Responsible for ensuring FX contracts are aligned to SMS strategy and policy, and there is meaningful analysis and tracking of FX revaluation on USD instruments
- Responsible for the accurate application of incoming cash transactions in the general ledger
- Continuous review and improvement of processes and tools for efficiency, accuracy, and J-SOX compliance
What you'll need to succeed
This position requires an understanding of all major areas within Controllership including financial reporting, internal controls, accounting, and budgets. Other requirements include:
What you'll get in return
- Undergraduate degree in business or a related field
- Accounting designation – CPA/CA or CPA/CMA
- 10 -15 years of transferable experience in areas including external audit, external reporting, accounts payable, and treasury functions
- Must have demonstrated skills in understanding operations of a business, building credibility with business partners, teaching partners the financial effects of decisions, creating healthy debate on assumptions, and collaborating to develop solutions.
- Experience with use of standard costing in a manufacturing environment is an asset
- Ability to influence operations functions/managers with effective communication, collaboration, and relationship building skills
- Effective leadership skills to motivate, manage, engage, train, and develop staff and create positive team environment
- Continuing education on leading practices in areas relevant for controllers such as business processes, controls, budgeting/planning, accounting etc.
SMS is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, offering competitive wages, comprehensive benefits, learning opportunities, apprenticeship programs, company matched RRSP and more! Perks include discount programs, wellness program, social club and free parking.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.