Your new role
What you'll need to succeed
- Reporting to the Lead, Server Support, the IT Technical Consultant is responsible for supporting the x86 physical/virtual stack at the organization.
- The successful candidate will work on all elements of the x86 stack including, but not limited to, Operating Systems, Hypervisor, Compute Hardware and all respective tie-ins into the network and storage infrastructure. They will provide technical/analytical support as well as maintain, troubleshoot, and administer IT Infrastructure Applications and hardware.
- These applications include VMware, Hyper -V, Active Directory, Windows Server OS, File Servers and DFS shares, DNS, Monitoring systems, SAN and Remedy IT Service Management.
- The IT Technical Consultant also implements systems and projects that contribute to the efficient technical delivery of maintenance and improvement programs in the operational areas of IT Server Support.
- Required skills include: Microsoft SQL clustering, Windows server management and security, SAN, vCenter, VMware ESXi, RHEL, VUM, SRM.
- The Incumbent is expected to behave ethically and follow the established code of business conduct, policies and internal control procedures, laws and regulations governing the organization.
- Successful candidates must possess the following competencies and will be pre-screened for those marked with a (Ö), prior to the interview portion of the selection process. Competencies are listed in order of significance.
- Support all Windows Server systems on physical/virtual workloads through maintenance, troubleshooting, root cause analysis, corrective action, and system administration
- Maintain technical currency and support for the enterprise vSphere environment. (i.e. installing, configuring, patching and decommissioning of all vSphere infrastructure components)
- Provide technical guidance and solutions for capital and operational projects and initiatives requiring Vmware, Hyper-V and Microsoft systems
- Execute Proof-of-Concept exercises to provide qualitative analyses and results for Enterprise Architecture
- Participate in change management processes to properly execute RFCs in the production environment
- Proactively identify problems and opportunities for improvement of IT service or processes, including service level improvement, cost efficiency and customer demand management
- Provide post-implementation project support to ensure continued operational availability and performance
- Identify opportunities to optimize the efficiency of IT applications and servers
- Develop and implement plans to support IT services.
- Research and identify industry trends (relative to scope of responsibility), leveraging ideas to improve or better align IT systems and services
- Perform after hours support as required per on-call schedule rotation
- Provide technical content for various technical documents (e.g. Standard Operating Procedures, Solution Design Documents, Visio Infrastructure Diagrams
What you'll get in return
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related discipline, or a minimum of 5 years related work experience
- 5+ years of experience supporting Microsoft operating systems (up to Server 2016) with emphasis on troubleshooting, build/configuration, performance analysis, bug fix, application support and documentation
- 5+ years of experience with VMware, Hyper-V Infrastructure and related solutions in specific areas of design, build, configuration and support (i.e. vCenter, ESXi, VUM, SRM)
- 4+ years of building, configuring and supporting Cisco UCS environments with multiple OS (Windows Server, VMware ESXi, Hyper-V, RHEL)
- Experienced with supporting Microsoft infrastructure. i.e. Active Directory, DFS, DNS, KMS, File Services
- Experienced with building and supporting Microsoft clustering solutions (i.e. SQL, File Services)
- Automated scripting with MS Powershell, VMware PowerCLI and /or Cisco UCS PowerTools are a plus
- Experience supporting file services via EMC Isilon is a plus
- A thorough understanding of Microsoft file systems (SMB and NTFS)
- Relevant knowledge of L2, L3 networking as it applies to Cisco UCS, VMware and Microsoft systems
- Ability to work with SAN and NAS storage and protocols
- Working knowledge of ITIL Processes (i.e. Changes, Incidents, Service Requests, Problems)
- Working knowledge of Hyper Converged Infrastructure
- Full stack analytical and problem-solving skills stretching across multiple technologies (Application, Compute, Storage, Network)
- Drives Results & Accountability: Has a clear sense of corporate direction, expectations, holds self and others accountable to achieve objectives.
- Champions Change, Productivity and Innovation: Invests in innovation, continuous improvement and productivity as essential drivers of long-term sustainability.
- Builds Strong Relationships: Invests in building valuable relationships across the organization and externally to support the future of the organization.
- Demonstrates Customer Focus: Models customer focused approach in all decisions and actions
The client is offering a 1 year engagement and a competitive hourly rate for the contract.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career. #1102968